krista leigh olson esthetics
COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY
closed Sundays and Tuesdays
What skin conditions does the CIT Pen Treat?
- Scarring- surgical, thermal, and acne (scars must be at least 6 months old)
- Stretch marks
- Enlarged pores
- Dyspigmentation (due to sun damage and/ or hormonal imbalances e.g. Melasma)
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Loose skin
- Dehydrated skin
- Increased smoothness and hydration
- Thicker and firmer skin
- Increased nutrients, overall healthier condition of the treats skin
- Better microcirculation in the treated skin
How is the treatment administered?
- A licensed skin care professional glides the CIT pen over professional strength HSS Enhancement Serum or sterile saline in a cross link or circular pattern over the skin to puncture the epidermal layers of the skin and create microscopic subcutaneous injuries. These microscopic channels in the skin allow for optimal product absorption. The microscopic injuries created with the CIT Pen stimulate a repair response & new collagen production with minimal to no downtime for your patient
How does the CIT pen work on a cellular level?
- As the CIT pen creates micro-channels into the skin, pores are temporarily opened allowing the enhancement serum to be fully penetrated. Micro-point punctures in the skin are created. This is a controlled injury to the skin and is perceived by the body as damage. This stimulates the release of growth factors that trigger the production of Collagen and Elastin. Skin reacts to this CIT treatment by initiating the healing process which encourages your patients’ skin to continue to regenerate.
What internal supplements are recommended with CIT treatments?
- Glucosamine, not only does it provide healthy joint support but speeds healing. The first few days of trauma enhance HA production in the wound which allows for fewer complications related to scarring.
- Liposomal Vitamin C - The liposome delivery system has hydrophilic and hydrophobic portions, providing a fat and water portion, which allows vitamin C to be absorbed through the fat and water soluble pathways for optimal absorption in the body.Liposomal C is an antioxidant that protects the body against oxidative stress. C is found in high concentrations in immune cells and also plays an important role in aiding several collagen synthesis reactions.
- Biotin- When using CIT to stimulate hair regrowth, internal support from the essential water-soluble B vitamin, Biotin, is recommended. Studies have also linked Biotin to healthy skin, nails, intestinal flora, as well as regulating low blood sugar levels and the nervous system.
When should I expect to see results?
- With our automated CIT Pen micro-needling treatments, the skin is tricked into repairing itself. The process of micro-needling skin remodeling can continue to enhance for months after treatment as the skin continues to repair itself. Results can be seen within a few days to a week. Skin naturally heals itself every 45 days so by simply adding micro-needling stimulation the changes can be accelerated and your client will see results. Depending on the patients’ expectations and personal goals we recommend a series of CIT Pen sessions to speed up the process and achieve optimum results. However; skin improvement is noticeable after just one treatment!
What should I expect after a CIT treatment?
- Immediately following treatment, your clients’ skin will have some redness and flushed in appearance like a moderate sunburn. The patient will also experience skin tightness and mild sensitivity to the treated area as well as some peeling (depending on the depth). At 24 hours and up to 36 hours, after treatment, little to no evidence of injury to the treated area is visible, however tightness and peeling can occur.
Can the CIT pen be used on my skin type?
- Skin needling can be safely performed on all skin colors and types. There is no risk of post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation as the melanocytes remain intact (as long as post-care instructions are followed).
- Other invasive procedures such as laser resurfacing are not recommended for Asian or African American skin due to the potential risks of delayed wound healing, pigment changes, and scarring. However, with Collagen Induction Therapy/ Micro-needling, the potential risks on ethnic skin are unlikely due to the epidermis remaining intact.
Can CIT help my rosacea?
- Mild Rosacea, can be improved. When the Spinosum layer is strengthened through CIT the collagen stimulated will support the dermal papillae, which will reduce the appearance of broken capillaries.
How many treatments will I need?
- The number of CIT treatments depends on your current skin condition and goals. Three to four treatments may be needed for moderate acne scars. Scars from thermal burns and stretch marks may require between 6-10 CIT sessions. The added Collagen lasts up to 12 months and a refresher treatment is recommended every 6 months to 1 year in order to fight the signs of ageing. You should be advised that multiple sessions may be needed to reach your desired results in order to meet your expectations.
Is CIT/microneedling painful?
- The variety of needle cartridges along with the CIT Pen’s ability to gage the needle depth allows this treatment to be customized to fit each of your clients’ needs and comfort levels. Application of local anesthetic numbing cream can prevent treatment discomfort.
What's the difference between your service and a service provided under a medical director?
- Results are seen at the cosmetic depth of 0.25mm.
- Cosmetic micro-needling is considered to work only in the granular & mid spinosum layers. Working on a cosmetic depth (0.3 and below) releases growth factors by stimulating Keratinocyte cells.
- Clinical studies have shown that regardless of the depth of injury to the skin, new collagen forms no deeper than 0.6mm. Working above 0.5mm is considered a medical treatment. Micro-Needling at “medical depths” has shown to be dramatically effective for scar removal, cellulite reduction, stretch marks, hyper-pigmentation and reduction of fine lines and wrinkles.
What should I use post-treatment?
- The professional strength CIT Enhancement Serum will be needled into the skin, and used post treatment care. It is recommended for continual daily use to reduce the appearance of hyper-pigmentation, scaring, fine lines, Rosacea and enlarged pore size. Continuation of daily usage of the CIT Serum will benefit in boosting and extending the effects of CIT. It also adds much needed hydration to treated and or aging skin which provides a more supple and youthful glow.
Are there any side effects to CIT/microneedling?
- This treatment typically recovers at a rapid rate & redness subsides within 24 hours. Erythema & heat is caused by vasodilation due to the release of histamine.
- Negative side effects should not take place if you are following proper protocol.
- Swelling during the recovery phase can occur
- skin infection with bacteria (rare) or herpes simplex virus (cold sores), Milia, which can be easily removed and mild acne flare ups may occur after the treatment.
- If any of these symptoms persist and/or worsen please seek immediate medical attention.
- As the microscopic channels to the skin close quickly, postoperative wound infection is extremely rare.
- Emollients and/ or topical antibiotics may be prescribed, if considered necessary.
CIT Pen treatments must be avoided in the following cases:
- Keloid or raised scarring.
- Pregnancy due to the lack of clinical studies.
- Herpes Simplex infections.
- Diabetes. (in some cases, if managed by diet and medication, treatment may proceed)
- Any facial injections within the past 10 days.
- Patients on any blood thinners.
- Collagen vascular diseases or cardiac abnormalities.
- Active bacterial or fungal infection.
- Immune-suppression diseases.
- Scars less than 6 months old.
- Raised moles, warts or raised lesions.
- Nodular or Pustular Rosacea
- Eczema, Psoriasis, Scleroderma and other chronic conditions.
- Treatment cannot be performed if the following is present: Any open cuts, wounds, abrasions, and active acne or cold sores.
Any additional questions, please contact Krista directly!